String theory was conceived and installed in the Fall of 2010.
The piece consists of a number of discrete components
- The String Sculpture: A static site based installation that utilized both hand / mechanical fabrication techniques
- The Bass Box: a hand constructed box that vibrates water through an internal subwoofer (credit to Sean Procyk for idea / implementation)
- The Big Box of Awesome: A hand constructed open ended control tool. The box allowed the audience to interact with the piece, changing the shape / colors that would be projected on the sculpture, and the sound that would be played through the bass box (via arduino + max/msp + dmx shield)
- Macbook Pro with Max/msp: Custom Patch to receive and transmit data via serial
- Laser: to make things extra pretty (Special thanks to Robin Glennie)
For more photographs check out the stream on flickr
Special Thanks to Brian ‘Tehn’ Crabtree for the song “vitaminfactory”
Find more of his awesome stuff here
Special thanks go out to Sean Procyk for the Bass Box concept… it is entirely his… he even helped build it.
The Laborious Process of Cutting String
Music is Complements of the Wonderful Stretta “an orchard for a dome” off of his latest release “A Funneled Stone”